Cauliflower, Bell Peppers and Potato Stir-Fry
Cauliflower - the talk of the country!
Cauliflower has in the recent year, been talk of the town, or country. There is "caulipower pizza", oh yes pizza, chicken nuggets with cauliflower, cauliflower rice, you name it. It's as if the world just woke up to how good this vegetable is in all shapes and forms! Hey, the more we can save the planet by eating lesser meat, the better, right. So, it's all goodness.
red bell peppers and green bell peppers
For me, there's another element to it - timelessness. We all have those dishes that we just never ever will get tired of eating. This is one such dish that combined three of my favorite vegetables, cauliflower, bell peppers and potatoes (technically it's not a vegetable, but we will just group them together ;) )
I have over the years experimented with various ways of making stir frys but at the end of the day, this method is what comforts my heart and soul! Plus, it's so simple! No 30 spices required.
The problem I face though, is the hubs doesn't like cauliflower, not in this form. So anytime I make it, it's all for me. Sometimes I combat that by saving some to make cauliflower and brown butter mac and cheese or by simply baking them with minimal spices (that's how he likes it anyway!)
Cauliflower bell peppers and potatoes stir fry
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Indian three spice mix
- 1 cauliflower head cut into cubes
- 3 potatoes
- 2 bell peppers
- 4 cloves fresh garlic, grated or minced
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 green chillies or 1 jalapeno (you can skip this if you want to keep it mild)
- 1 medium sized onion chopped lengthwise
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp split and dehusked black gram lentils
- Heat a non-stick pan on medium heat.
- Add 1 tbsp sunflower or safflower oil
- Add the tempering ingredients
- Once the splutter, perhaps in 1-15 seconds, add the onions
- Once onions are translucent, add ginger and garlic, sauté until they are not raw
- Add the turmeric powder
- Add cauliflower and potatoes, sauté until they are nice and caramelized.
- TIP: Do not place a lid on the container as that tends to water down the cauliflower and make it mushy.
- TIP: Mix every 3-4 minutes initially. The trick is to let the veggies brown at the bottom, and constant mixing breaks them up and makes it a mash, which is not the desired outcome.
- Once the cauliflower and potatoes are almost cooked, add bell peppers, cook until they are a tad soft, yet crisp.
- Add the three spice mix and toss well.
- Turn off the heat, place a lid, and let sit for 2-3 minutes before serving.
Enjoy with some fresh basmati or jasmine rice. Or, wrap it up in a tortilla to go ;)
cauliflower, potatoes and and bell peppers stir fry