Make healthy Indian food with Wundernuggets
Uttapam Wrap With Minty Lentil Wundernuggets
A 100% vegan meal!Indian cuisine encompasses a wide variety of regional cuisine. South India's most common dish is Dosa, which again has many varieties and is similar to a crepe. Uttapam is a dosa-like dish from South India made by cooking ingredients in a batter. Unlike a dosa, which is crisp and crepe-like, uttapam is a thick pancake, with toppings cooked right into the batter.
We combined the flavor of this traditional Indian dish with Mediterranean Lentil Wundernuggets and voila! We had invented a lip-smacking, healthy and delicious meal!
Ingredients for the Uttapam:
- ½ cup skinned whole black gram
- 1 ½ cup rice (raw rice or parboiled rice)
- Non-iodized or crystal salt as needed
- 1 medium onion chopped or sliced
- 1 small tomato (optional) small firm ripe deseeded and chopped
- 1 to 2 tbsp carrot grated
- 2 green chilies chopped
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves chopped
Ingredients for Peanut Chutney/Dip:
- 1 cup peanuts
- 1 to 2 green chilies or red chilis (adjust as needed) and 1/4th ginger
- salt as needed
- ½ tablespoon cumin
- ½ tablespoon tamarind as desired (optional)
- 1 tsp oil
- ¼ tsp mustard
- 1 red chili broken
- 1 pinch asafoetida
- 12-14 curry leaves
- salt as needed
Cooking Method for Uttapam:
1. Prepare the batter- Soak the skinned whole black gram and rice together overnight and ground them the next day and leave it for fermentation till it rises.
2. After the batter is ready, add few drops of oil to a hot pan and pour the batter as you do for a pancake.
3. Lower the heat and sprinkle the toppings. Sprinkle oil towards the edges and over the onions.
4. When the base is firm, flip it and cook on the other side until it is cooked well. Cook on a medium flame.
5. Cook the toppings as desired. Set aside and make the next one.
Cooking Method for Peanut Chutney/dip-
1. Transfer all the dry ingredients to a blender jar along with salt and tamarind soaked in little water.
2. Blend to smooth peanut chutney.
3. Taste it and add more salt and chili if needed.
Tempering peanut chutney
Add 1 tsp oil to the hot pan.
Add mustard, red chili, and curry leaves.
Fry till the leaves turn crisp and add asafoetida
Turn off the heat and pour this over the blended chutney.
Place the hot Uttapams on a plate and top it with Minty Lentil Wundernuggets and pour some peanut chutney on the top as needed. You can also have it as a wrap or have it individually with the dipping sauce!
Tip: If you do not want to make the batter from scratch, you can also get the readymade one from any Indian store near you.
Hope you all love cooking and eating this yummy, and healthy meal that can go as a breakfast, lunch or dinner!