Vegan Kale Pesto Pasta with WunderEggs
Make the perfect vegan pesto pasta with kale and WunderEggs! WunderEggs are the world's first vegan hard boiled eggs made with nuts and they're launching this year. WunderEggs are a ready-to-eat snack and pair well avocado toast, salads and even pasta.
Plan the perfect pasta night with this amazing recipe created by Crafty Counter founder, Hema Reddy.
Cook pasta per directions
Toss with vegan kale pesto sauce - see recipe below
Slice some cherry tomatoes
Sprinkle plant-based feta cheese (Follow Your Heart makes a delicious feta)
VEGAN KALE PESTO SAUCE
- 1 cup ‘straight leaf or lacinato kale’ leaves
- (prep: take thick center stems off the kale). I have used curly leaves occasionally but I given they are more fiberous, reduce the amount down to 1/2 cup.
- 1.5 cups of fresh baby spinach
- 1 giant heap of fresh basil leaves (take the super thick stems off, but can leave the delicate stems in). I usually buy pesto at Trader Joe’s or central market where it’s a bigger size bunch. Usually it comes out to 1.5 - 2 cups
- 4-5 garlic cloves if medium to big sized; 6-7 if smaller size cloves
- 1/2 olive oil
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1/2 tbsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1.5 tbsp nutritional yeast OR 1/2 cup fresh vegan/plant based parmesan cheese (available at whole foods)
For making pesto in a blender, the sequence of adding ingredients make a difference in the end result
1. Add garlic, kale, and olive oil to the blender
2. Once roughly blended, add basil and spinach
3. Once the above are chopped (doesn’t need to be smooth at this point) add walnuts
4. Make a smooth paste
5. Add nutritional yeast (or plant based parmesan cheese), salt, pepper
6. If the above mix is difficult to blend or is too thick, add a little water or more olive oil.
7. Blend until smooth
8. Taste. Adjust with a little more nutritional yeast or salt as needed. Be careful with nutritional yeast, it can become pungent if it’s excessive. Increase amounts as needed in tsp measures.